Monday, March 28, 2011

New Horizon

And so it's been almost a month here at my new workplace. Things have been... different. It's taking some getting used to, especially the odd hours, different work jobs and of course, the different environment. Having to drive to work at the time you used to come back from lunch, you'll appreciate how much less stressful it is with little traffic jam. Work is (for this month) is from 2pm-10pm, so dinner's usually around the office area. the drive home is smooth with mostly clear roads as well, and I'm able to have later nights than I'd usually have. Work is somewhat less stressful than what I used to do. They are more spread apart, meaning you can have more time making sure things turn out nice. Working under a bigger company meant a lot more people are involved, and things work differently. But thankfully my seniors are really nice, they've been teaching me well these few weeks. I sure hope I'll be up to speed (and standard) as soon as I can. Still plenty to learn, with more graphics work than layouts now.

But with every pros also come cons. The stress is different this time, like cracking my head over stuff which I've either no idea how to solve, or simply things I haven't done for a while. Or at times just stuff I'm not good at. For instance I dislike graphs. I friggin hate them... and most things that utilise math, figures and numbers. But it's part of the job at times now so I really have to live with it. I did an info-graphic in my first week that I really love too, and it sure gave me some much-needed work satisfaction boost. I just wished there was a way to do a bit of writing as well, like what I used to do. Social life with friends is almost non-existent, with the awkward work hours. Either you're free at a time when everyone's working, or you're free when everyone wants to go to bed. Sometimes all I long for is for a simple chill session or to go party the night away with friends. At times it just feels like a lot to wish for now. I work on alternate weekends, with replacements on certain weekdays in between. Being a very social person, stuff like these are important to me, so I really value these few and far-apart time-offs I have, spending time with buddies or ex-colleagues (well, personally I'd prefer to call them friends now as well). I even drop by to have lunch with them occasionally... and I have to say I miss them a lot, and those little moments I have with them make me really happy.

Things have been different, and despite all the changes, uncharted territory and such, I also have to admit I miss writing as apart of my routine. I'm not sure why, but perhaps having done it for more than two years really made it a part of my life. Without it, it feels as though a part of me died. I miss the little satisfaction of knowing you've got all your thoughts out on print, with people reading it, not knowing the author is right beside them. And the occasional comments you get on your articles when a reader actually recognizes you. Like how my friend Yeevs would say, "It's writer's pride. No-one can take that away from you." I couldn't agree more. Other than that, there's also the kick you get from having all the photos and also the overall layout done by you as well. But hey, it's still too early to jump to conclusions. One thing's for sure, I should finally have more time for blogging, which I have done lesser and lesser since I started writing for my previous company. The last two years have been my slowest as far as blogging is concerned, so I'll continue doing what I love, which is writing bout food, movies, music and everything under the sun, albeit in online form. So in a way, I am keeping the writing part of me alive. Writer's pride... let's see how this goes.

raptor's Blog is back... and it's here to stay baby~

PEACE & God Bless,
Aris Tee

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hang on there, bro. Just as u said, with every pros, comes with cons. Try to be as optimistic as possible n don't jump into conclusion.

I understood by what u mean by job satisfaction. I have been doing that since the past few years & also the reason why I'm willing to work late & sometimes or most of the times missed out the fun & chill out session with the them.

Last but not least, cheer up and hope things will turn out to be better. Work harder and aim to jump out from that department. :-)

Fuelly

Fuelly Fuelly